Audition Requirements for Fall Prelude
All GCYO auditions for the 2020 – 2021 season will be performed via video recording. Please follow these directions.
All video auditions are due by August 28.
Record your Audition:
- Whether using a cell phone or video camera, make sure that there is adequate light in the room in which you are recording.
- Make sure that you are standing or sitting far enough away from the camera that the judges can see you adequately. The video should clearly record both your left and right arms/hands. Your torso should be visible for accurate assessment of posture and playing position.
- Record in a quiet environment so that judges hear you well.
- Start the recording by saying: your full name, your instrument, and the name of the orchestra for which you are auditioning (YAO, Philharmonic, Sinfonia, Intermezzo or Prelude).
- Record in this order:
- Scale: say the name of each scale before you play it (Phil and YAO musicians should select 1 major and 1 minor scale, all others play all listed in the requirements )
- Solo: must be no longer than 2 minutes (make cuts and eliminate repeats as needed)
- Excerpts: say the name of each excerpt before you play it (play all listed in the requirements).
- Please record all of the above in one take (DO NOT SUBMIT MULTIPLE VIDEOS).
- There will be No Sight Reading for this audition.
For more ways to make a great audition recording, see the Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestra.
- All auditions must be submitted to Acceptd.
- Remember, the deadline to submit videos is August 28.
Making the Dreams of Young Artists a Reality