Less than a week away! Please note the following procedures you need to follow when arriving for rehearsal
- All students must wear a mask at all times while in the building.
- Upon arriving, go directly to your rehearsal room. Faculty will be on hand to check you in and direct you to the correct location.
- Instrument cases should be unpacked and stored under or beside your seat in the rehearsal location.
- Please maintain social distancing at all times!
- Failure to follow these guidelines may result in dismissal from rehearsal.
8-25-20 Email to parents:
Dear GCYO families:
All of us on the faculty and staff hope this email finds you safe, healthy, and off to a good start in the new school year! We have been working hard to find a way forward for GCYO rehearsals, finding locations and determining best practices and I wanted to let you know where we are.
Beginning September 14, all 5 ensembles will be holding STRINGS ONLY rehearsals for the fall semester. See schedule at the bottom of this email for locations and times for each group.
Currently, we cannot rehearse our wind/brass players. This is due in part to requests by our host schools. Space limitations due to social distancing requirements also play a part. Our plan, if all goes well, is to incorporate you into the programs in January, after the MLK holiday weekend.
To accommodate social distancing, we will have to limit the number of students in each rehearsal. For instance, we can only have 22 musicians in the recital hall at the Fine Arts Center at one time. If an ensemble’s size is greater than the number of students we can accommodate, we will split the group into smaller “sub” ensembles, rehearsing them on a rotating basis. We will not know our numbers until we have results from our auditions.
Please note the following policies that we must insist on in our rehearsals:
- Masks are required and must always be worn during rehearsal. We will have some on hand if a student forgets.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided upon entering the building.
- DO NOT come to rehearsal if you are sick! Even if you think it’s just a sore throat, stay home!
- DO NOT come to rehearsal earlier than 15 minutes prior to start time. We cannot have students congregating or roaming the buildings.
- Instruments should be unpacked at the students’ assigned seats. Cases should be kept under or beside their chair during rehearsal.
If you haven’t yet done so, please let us know your plans for returning. We really need to know what our numbers will look like!
If you have registered for an audition, please be sure and upload your audition recording by Friday. That’s this coming Friday the 28th!
- Prelude: Monday 5:00 – 6:15 at Wade Hampton High School
- Intermezzo: Monday 5:00 – 6:30 Wade Hampton High School
- Sinfonia: Monday 4:45 – 6:30 Wade Hampton High School
- Philharmonic: Monday 4:45 – 6:15 Fine Arts Center recital hall
- YAO: Monday 6:45 – 8:45 Fine Arts Center recital hall
Information about fees can be found on the website www.gcyo.net/students-and-parents. We will be charging by the semester. First semester fees will be due on the first day of rehearsal.
I am so excited that we will finally be able to make music together! Looking forward to seeing you on the 14th!
8-23-20 Update: Schedule and locations
- Prelude: 5:00 – 6:15 Wade Hampton High School
- Intermezzo: 5:00 – 6:30 Wade Hampton High School
- Sinfonia: 4:45 – 6:30 Wade Hampton High School
- Philharmonic: 4:45 – 6:15 Fine Arts Center
- YAO: 6:45 – 8:45 Fine Arts Center
Covid-19 Response and Updates.
Because we are a program of the school district and use district facilities we must adhere to district policies regarding social distancing, the number of students allowed to meet at one time, mask wearing, cleaning, and if we are even allowed to rehearse. We were excited to learn recently that we WILL be able to hold in person rehearsals of some kind when the GCSD is having in person learning.
- Students desiring to audition will be asked to submit a recording that includes all the audition requirements currently posted on the web-site. Information on how to submit your recording will be sent out in the next week or so.
- If you have not yet registered for an audition, please do so by going to gcyo.net/students-and-parents/ to review the audition requirements and register.
- Music will be made available digitally when we announce audition results and know what the orchestras will look like.
- First rehearsal will be Monday, September 14.
- If we are not able to have full in person rehearsals to start with, conductors will hold 1 or 2 virtual “rehearsals” to give general directions about the music (tempi, bowings, etc.).
- In Person rehearsals: Please note that we will have to be flexible with these, depending on where the district is on the “Return to School Road Map”.
- If we are on 1- or 2-day physical attendance on the road map, depending on our numbers, rehearsals may be divided by section (i.e.: for Violin I, wk. 2 for Violin II, wk. 3 for cellos, wk. 4 for bass) or by splitting the orchestra in 2 or 3 groups that include all sections.
- 5 day a week in person will allow us to have full rehearsals – still socially distanced of course.
- Face masks will be required for all musicians. GCYO will have some available if a student comes to rehearsal without one. We are also working toward purchasing special masks for any wind players that participate.
- Students enrolled in the GCSD virtual school may still participate in GCYO!
Will all orchestras/ensembles and musicians be able to start in September?
Sadly, no. Wind and brass instruments, by their nature, are more problematic as we work to minimize the spread of covid.
- Wind Ensemble will most likely not begin rehearsals until January.
- Sinfonia, Philharmonic, and YAO will be strings only for the first semester.
What if I can’t participate in the fall?
Students may join their GCYO orchestra in January if any of the following apply:
- You are a SCGSAH student living outside of the Greenville area and virtually learning from home.
- You or your parents are uncomfortable with the prospect of in person rehearsals.
- You play a woodwind, brass, or percussion instrument
- We will be reducing our fees for the 2020-21 season and possibly charging by the semester. The board of directors will be meeting on August 11th to approve a new fee schedule.
- Financial aid will still be offered for those who need it.